This afternoon, shortly after work, I ran a quick proof of concept test. It worked fairly well, I think I could see some sunspots.
So here goes, to start with you will need the following.
- some sort of stand (camera tripod here)
- cutting tool
- pen or pencil
From here the steps are really fairly simple:
- Cut a hole in a piece of cardboard to act as a sun screen
- Tape the binoculars to the stand
- Tape the sun screen to the binoculars
- View the Sun!
IMPORTANT! SAFETY TIP!
Do NOT Look Into The Binoculars!!!
Let me know if you build one or are able to see the transit!
- Transit of Venus FAQ: Everything You Need to Know (space.com)
- If you’re going to check out the Venus transit try to capture it with your iPhone (tuaw.com)