Aye, matey it be that day again, International Talk Like a Pirate Day.
The golden age of piracy is a fascinating and much misunderstood era in history.
So I thought in honor of this ‘holiday’ I would do some digging for some of the pirate gold amongst the myths.
Buried Treasure (a good start in looking to the gold)
- Not so much, first off most pirates aren’t going to trust their captain to bury treasure for them.
- If you bury your treasure you can’t count on it not being found
- For the same reason no pirate was going to make a map to any treasure he may have hidden, out of fear of the map getting taken.
- Every rule has exceptions and William Kidd is reputed to be such an exception
Walking the Plank
- Again not likely, it is certainly possible but why waste the time to rig up a ‘plank’ when you can just chuck the crewman over the side.
Women aboard Ship
- Most of the myths about women on pirate ships aren’t actually true
- Most pirate captains aren’t going to want women aboard resulting in contention among the crew.
- That said there were certainly female pirates, most of whom dressed as men to blend in.
I think that should do for this year, next year I’ll be back to search for more pirate gold.